Local motels booked for Parents’ Weekend

By Heidi Diaz

If parents driving into DeKalb expect to spend the night and don’t have lodging reservations, they’ll be driving a long way.

All DeKalb motels are booked for the weekend and there is even a waiting list for rooms in the Holmes Student Center hotel.

Desk clerk Lisa Kirschner said the student center has been booked for “a long time and the waiting list is also filled.” Kirschner said there are about 20 names on the waiting list.

“We’re having some cancellations and going down the waiting list,” she said.

The Georgetown Motel, 1321 W. Lincoln Hwy., is “booked solid” and has been for a couple months, said front desk clerk Hilary Finne. The motel is “usually booked way in advance” for Parents’ Weekend, Finne said.

The Days Inn of DeKalb, 1212 E. Lincoln Hwy., and DeKalb Motel, 1815 E. Lincoln Hwy., also are booked solid.

Edwin Gray, manager at Motel 6, 1116 W. Lincoln Hwy., said the motel stopped booking for Parents’ Weekend months ago because many rooms were occupied by students displaced from Stadium View II’s late completion.

Gray said the motel was “not going to kick the students out.”

The Oxford Inn Motel, 2675 Sycamore Road, is filled but only some rooms were reserved by parents staying for the weekend. Manager Sharon Kratz said there are a couple of wedding receptions the same weekend and some guests had reserved rooms.

Hotels even as far away as Rochelle are booked. The Concord Inn on Highway 251 and Illinois Rt. 38 was filled but that is partly because Rochelle High School’s Homecoming is this weekend, a spokesman said.