BOR examines work-study plan

By Mark McGowan

SPRINGFIELD—The Board of Regents expressed concern Wednesday about a proposed statewide work-study program that they fear will sap too much state money.

The program, a cooperative education project, is planned with the intent of reducing reliance on student loans, encouraging social service jobs and complementing academics.

Ross Hodel, deputy director of the Illinois Board of Higher Education, told the Regents at their monthly meeting at Sangamon State University that the IBHE has some concerns with the plans.

First, Hodel said, is the program’s funding and how it would relate to other student loan programs. The work-study easily could cost millions, he said.

Second, the IBHE worries about administrative time, costs needed to start the program and availability of staff to run the work-study.

Third, Hodel raised questions about determining student eligibility and earnings.

Hodel’s concerns did not fall on deaf ears. Jerry Augsburger, director of NIU’s Financial Aid office, said the Illinois Student Assistance Commission should not saddle the burden of funding the project, adding he fears it might compete for funds with the Monetary Award Program (MAP).

NIU students also will be diverted from traditional on-campus jobs. Officials have enough trouble placing eligible students into federally-funded work programs, like food service, which are usually thought of as less than glamorous, he said.

Also slowing talks is the possibility of a four-year pilot program. Charles O’Brien, a representative from Illinois State University in Normal, said the schools would suffer a public relations backlash if they get businesses committed and then drop the program after 12 months.

But, Marla Lawarence, a former member of the task force that proposed the work-study, said the Regents are confused.

She said the idea is to create a co-op work-study to help students earn money without straining the state’s budget.

The Regents govern NIU, ISU, and Sangamon State University in Springfield.