SSU president to resign post

By Marc Alberts and Amy Julian

Sangamon State University’s president announced Monday he will resign next June after a controversial seven-year span in office.

SSU President Durward Long said, “Now that the university is at an all-time high and the path of progress clearly charted for future development, I am interested in doing something else…”

Long came under fire a number of times in his career at the Springfield university when it was alleged from different sources that he sexually harassed students and faculty. SSU student Joanna Lynn Harner filed sexual assault charges against Long in February, 1986. The charges were dismissed in January, 1988.

There were allegations made that in August of 1989 Long made physical advances to female students at a pig roast although no charges were ever filed.

Seven faculty members filed charges against Long in November, 1988 stating Long was responsible for a “hostile, offensive, intimidating working environment.”

In August of 1989, a Human Rights Commission held a hearing on the charges but have not reported their decision to any of the faculty who made the charges.

Long also admitted to a drinking problem while serving as president. Long left campus on Sept. 5., 1988 for a 60-day medical leave to combat his alcohol addiction.

The state Board of Regents, which governs NIU, SSU and Illinois State University in Normal favorably reviewed Long’s performance in July 1990. Long said it was “an amiable review.”

Although Long said in July he wasn’t seeking another job he told WSSU radio last Tuesday that if he were to resign he would make an announcement before Christmas.

Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves said, “I believe I speak not only (for) myself, but the Board of Regents in saying that we have been pleased with this outstanding record of achievement. He will be a hard president to replace.”

NIU Student Regent Jim Mertes said Long had a “tumultuous tenure” but “he did fulfill many of the goals of SSU.”

Long has been president and professor of history at SSU since 1984. He will retain tenure as a professor in the university after his term as president ends.