Students want JUAC seat

By Vickie Snow

NORMAL_ Some NIU students are still fighting for a seat on the committee advising the universities governing board while students from ISU and SSU already hold positions on the committee.

The Joint University Advisory Committee reports its opinions on issues such as tuition to the Board of Regents and students feel they should have a say in what JUAC recommends.

JUAC consists of six members from each university.

The board governs NIU along with Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

But some NIU officials think the seat is unnecessary, partly because NIU has a student regent to represent student views.

In addition, since students are represented on the board and faculty aren’t, the student JUAC seat might not come about until faculty are represented on the board, said J. Carroll Moody, JUAC member and executive secretary of the NIU University Council, which reports to the regents.

NIU student Sadia Ahmed attended the JUAC meeting Wednesday to show that students are interested in what goes on during the meetings, she said.

Ahmed, a senior political science major said she has been active with student government groups since enrolling at NIU four years ago.

“I know what’s going on and can be in contact with students,” she said.

Last year, seats were added to include professional supportive staff from each university. NIU appointed its member, but ISU and SSU are amending their constitutions before making appointments.