Ministry ‘breaks barriers’

By Ed Kuhs

NIU’s Christian Campus Ministry is attempting to break down cultural barriers with its new Campus House.

The house, located at 701 Lucinda Ave., has reached its capacity of 11 residents. Five of the residents are caucasian, two are black, three are Oriental and one is Hispanic. Their ages vary between 18 and 34 years old. Five house members are graduate students.

Scott Stocking, Campus Minister, said he was skeptical about how the residents of diverse backgrounds would get along because of claims of racial tension on campus.

However, he now is very pleased with the program. “They are all communicating well, and I sense no hatred or racism whatsoever,” Stocking said.

The house is a coed residence which is similar to a “quiet lifestyle” floor in the university’s residence halls. According to a press release, “the house is intended to provide an atmosphere for academic and spiritual growth.”

Stocking said the house offers a freer lifestyle than the other residence halls. There is no chaperone. The students are trusted with maintaining the house. There also is a moderate curfew for visitors of the opposite sex.

Originally, the house was to be a residence only for students professing Christianity, but they have since opened the doors to all students. The residents are not required to participate in any of the ministry’s events, but they are certainly welcome to attend, Stocking said.

Sandra Overmeyer, a junior communicative disorders major and a resident of the house, said she really enjoys the atmosphere and the diversity of the house. “It’s a great place for learning to understand people who are different than you,” she said.

Christian Campus Ministry is currently leasing the house and hopes to purchase it in the future, Stocking said.