Injuries won’t beat NIU ailing oddities

By Greg Rivara

Although NIU is known for its little oddities, it’s amazing why accidents aren’t hinged to the university’s reputation.

No, NIU has enough ailing oddities to squelch the chances of changing the Home of the Huskies to Home of the Handicapped.

The students drifting through the busy traffic and sidestepping the cars haven’t tainted NIU, although it is amazing being squashed hasn’t taken on some new regional meaning.

Not to worry, though. Just looking around shows NIU is firmly tucked beneath a lead blanket as University officials move to improve campus life.

They vow to make everything fit into a campus plan while enhancing safety. They promise the new additions will fit with the old.

But they simply forget to mention the old is a patchwork quilt just topped with DeKalb’s version of Cabrini Green on the West end, gargoyles on the East end and a copper tower in the middle.

The forgetfulness helps to cover some of their fears. Secretly their knees wobble as the chance for the student center’s nicknames grows nearer and the new copper cap eventually turns green. The snot tower, return of the Gobots or other more interesting sexual quips top the mock list.

How can students frolicking in the streets past oncoming traffic in a vain rush to get an education compare to the tower?

No, the Home of the Huskies is safe.

Besides, how can students being hit by cars take away from the pseudo dog pound? It might not be a full pound and more poodles come than pitbulls, but it’s NIU’s. Even a sacraficial lamb, albeit hard to come by, leaps in now and then.

Most assuredly, the drivers zig-zagging between people in the streets will not go down in NIU history. The student’s might go down, but not their confidence.

DeKalb, corn and Huskie territory will live long.

After all, students would have to beat the likes of a former University President and his skirting the law to furnish a home while buying lavish jewelry for his inauguration.

Or other officials practically writing their own history at NIU even though writing history texts goes beyond even their enormous role of expertise.

Besides, if walking into NIU’s library hasn’t caused anybody to trip and break a leg, how can we worry about students in their mad-dash to classes?

It’s not like the roads are busy or heavy busses and trucks use them daily. It’s not like someone wasn’t hit before or vehicles don’t post signs in front of their windows.

No, NIU’s reputation as the other college in Illinois is secure. With DeKalb’s robust smelling springs, unequalled street festivals and passion for second-rate political protests, NIU is firmly safe from handicap sign offers.

Students can’t remember semester from semester let alone class to class. It’s not reasonable for them to remember when they were last told to look both ways before crossing.

How’s the scoring go? Ten points for students and 20 points for bicyclists?