Fest offers chances for students to join groups

By Amy Julian

Over 70 NIU campus organizations will be showing their stuff at the annual Friday fest on August 24.

Construction in the Martin Luther King Commons has forced the annual fest to the parking lot of the Student Recreation Center, said Matt Miller, New Student Welcome Days student coordinator.

“Friday Fest is another opportunity to show students what services are available to them,” Miller said.

Organizations appearing will include the Black Student Union, American Marketing Association and Amnesty International, among others, said Laura Bottens, Orientation and Student Assistance Office student assistant.

The Student Recreation Center and the University Bookstore will also sponsor special events during Friday Fest.

At 11:15 a.m. the Tae kwan do hap ki do Club from the recreation center will give a demonstration, said Fabian De Rozario, campus recreation center coordinator.

Following the demonstration, fashions such as tee shirts, shorts and baseball caps from the University Bookstore will be modeled by members of NIU sports teams, CAB and the OCR staff, said Nora Beck, Universtiy Bookstore assistant manager.

“The best thing about the fashion show is that they (campus organizations) will all be working together to promote University spirit,” Beck said.

“Fall Fashions: the Cover Story” will be the theme for the show because oversized magazine covers with pictures of the student models will serve as a backdrop for the show, she said.

Sid Simmons, a radio broadcaster for Huskie football and basketball games, will be the announcer for the show, Beck said.

“Totally Rec’d” will follow the fashion show, De Rozario said. “It’s a humorous skit illustrating all the many activities the office of campus recreation sponsors,” he said.

A fencing club demonstration will follow the fashion show from 1:45 p.m. to 2 p.m., he said.

WKDI will provide music during all the intermissions of Friday Fest, which ends at 3 p.m. he said.