Sorority returns to NIU in fall

By Amy Julian

The international social sorority Alpha Omicron Pi will be returning to NIU this fall after a nine-year absence, said Mary Diaz, colonization chairman.

The sorority left in 1981 because of a declining interest in the Greek system in the 1970s, she said. AOPi was one of the original sororities to come to campus in 1953.

“The atmosphere at Northern is conducive to new groups now,” said Melanie Doyle, AOPi public relations coordinator. “We’re very excited about returning.”

“AOPi anticipates a strong chapter on campus,” said Mary Ronan, Activities Advisor for Greek Affairs at NIU.

The Panhellenic Conference voted April 10 to invite AOPi to return to campus, she said. Sorority regulations require that new organizations be invited.

Diaz said a strong alumni group including about 100 members from DeKalb and Kane Counties is largely responsible for continuing interest in AOPi. They are also interested in reopening other chapters in the region, Doyle said.

AOPi already has its own house on campus and should fit right into NIU, Ronan said.

Recruitment for members will be held Sept. 4-7 and will have the theme of “Welcome AOPi Week,” she said. Promotions such as a banner competition will be held then.

Arthritis research is AOPi’s national philanthrophy. All of its chapters support this research through its fund raisers.

Other schools in the area with AOPi chapters include Illinois-Wesleyn College, University of Illinois, University of Chicago, and Parks College, Ronan said.