Candidates begin interviews for student affairs position

By Marc Alberts

Four candidates selected to be interviewed for Associate Vice President for Student Affairs were announced last week.

Donald Buckner, NIU’s Director of Student Housing, Michael Cuyjet from University of Maryland, College Park, Sharon Policello, Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York, and Thomas Risch, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, were selected.

Barbara Henley, Vice President for Student Affairs, said Buckner has been her temporary assistant in Student Affairs since September of last year.

Cuyjet is the Director of Campus Activities at the Maryland university. Policello is the Director of Campus Activities and Orientation in New York. Risch is the Vice President for Student Services at Missouri university.

The Northern Star received information that NIU Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles also applied for the position. However, Henley declined comment on Bolles’ application based on previous hiring policies.

The candidates will each spend a day meeting with representatives from the office of Student Affairs, members of the position’s search committee and other groups beginning next Tuesday with Risch. Buckner, Cuyjet and Policello will follow similar schedules next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, respectively.

Included in each of the candidate’s schedules is a 3 p.m. meeting in the university suite open to students.

Henley said she and the search committee will finish reference checks on the candidates before making a decision. “Hopefully, after the conclusion of the interviews we can have an announcement ready within two weeks,” she said.