SAMTB expects lower deficit

By Dana Netzel

The Student Association Mass Transit Board is expecting a $24,000 deficit in June, half of the previously projected $48,000 figure.

Combinations in bus routes and lower fuel prices have controlled the deficit, said Mass Transit Graduate Assistant Cyro Gazola.

Transit Adviser Dave Pack said the budget “looks pretty good and is better than anticipated.”

The budget was evaluated in November with a projected $48,000 deficit, but the current $32,000 deficit is projected to be whittled down to $24,000, Gazola said.

A contribution to the deficit was a freeze placed on busing fees in 1986 through 1988 and an increase in expenses, he said. The $100,000 carry-over from 1986 helped the budget, but “this year we used everything,” Gazola said.

The board also received an increase in student fees this year from $29.04 to $35.76 for full-time students that will reduce the deficit, Gazola said.

Pack will continue to look for federal and state funding for the bus system and, according to a five-year plan for the mass transit system, funding will be a top priority.

At an April 9 meeting, board members agreed to provide more service to students in Stevenson and Grant towers next fall with the restoration of another 4R bus during day hours.

Todd Allen, board member and SA senator, said “it is an accepted rule that the bus will pass you up” if it is full so an additional bus on this route will help alleviate this occurrence. The 4R bus will run Monday through Friday from 7:35 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.

The bus did not run this year because “budget funds weren’t there,” Pack said. The board is contracted to use the bus, but if it does not, a refund is given, he said.

However, the Fiscal Year 1991 projected budget will have a carryover of $36,000. So “if you’re paying for the service, you should get the service,” Allen said.