SA supports credit union

By Mark Gates and Dana Netzel

The Student Association supported a student-run credit union Sunday to financially help students and offer experience in future related careers.

Finance Professor Joseph Newman told 30 senators of the 45-seat body that a credit union would need “as little as $1,000” to begin operations.

Newman said the credit union would be run by student volunteers, who could advance from tellers to loan officers.

However, any loans would have to be approved by an advisory board, which would determine what investments the credit union would make, he said. Faculty members and students would be on the advisory board.

Sen. Amanda Rutter said students will benefit from the credit union both financially and professionally. Students who work at the credit union will be able to put the experience on their resume, she said.

Newman said credit unions have advantages that banks do not. Credit unions are not taxed like banks and usually offer higher interest rates to members, he said.

A six-member committee including Newman and five finance students will request a site for the union from the Holmes Student Center Space Committee today.

Newman said he hopes to get more support from the NIU community.

In other business, Sen. James Mertes tried to suspend recognition of the Feminist Front for one week because he said it does not have a structured leadership.

According to SA Bylaws, student organizations recognized by the senate must have officers. Mertes requested suspension after a Feminist Front member, Racheal Vellenga, was appointed to the senate.

Mertes said the SA Standards Committee will review the organization’s eligibility for SA recognition and recommend whether to suspend the organization at the April 8 meeting.

The Feminist Front has no accountability and “it’s impossible to ascertain who their officers are,” Mertes said. “We’re not sure whether or not their officers are students,” he said.

Another issue the senate attempted to tackle was the SA Art Collection, however, no decision was made. SA Community Affairs Adviser Brian Subatich said there were not enough senators present to discuss the issue.

Senate Speaker John Fallon said he will hold a forum on April 8 with the Campus Activities Board to better the communication between the SA and CAB.

The senate also approved the appointments of Chris Savaiano and Rachel Vellenga. Mark Harkness and David Wall were dropped from the senate because of too many unexcused absences.