SAMTB considers bus route change

By Dana Netzel

The Student Association Mass Transit Board is considering reversing a bus route to avoid road construction next semester.

The idea will reverse Route 6 and include a few minor changes to avoid the construction at the corner of Lincoln Highway and Annie Glidden Road, which begins this summmer.

The construction will widen Lincoln Highway to four lanes past the water tower, leaving only a one-lane temporary access road.

SA Senator and board member Todd Allen said the board does not have much of a choice, but to make a change. “It’s almost a necessity,” he said.

Board member Scott Buening said his proposal includes the Route 6 reversal with changes at Second Street, Lincoln Highway and the Holmes Student Center stop.

Instead of turning on Third Street the bus will turn on Second Street and then Grove Street.

Because of the construction left hand turns will be illegal or not available, said SA Mass Transit Adviser Dave Pack. The route will be reversed and instead of turning right on Lincoln Highway it will continue on Annie Glidden Road, Buening said.

The bus’ stop at the student center will be through a turn on Stadium Drive to Lucinda Avenue or direct from Annie Glidden Road to Lucinda Avenue.

Because the board lacked quorum, a majority of voting members, the idea was sent to the board’s long-range planning committee and a recommendation will be heard at the board’s April 23 meeting.

Conrad Miller, NIU Physical Plant project manager, previously said the intersection will be reduced to one lane with no traffic signals.