OCR Outing Centre to sponsor excursions

By Ellen Skelly

Adventure and new experiences lie around the bend or even under the ground when people go on OCR Outing Centre trips.

The Office of Campus Recreation has sponsored trips during the semester and is planning more trips for spring and summer, including a May rafting trip at Wolf River, Wisconsin.

Students can participate in a type of adventure and have a feeling of accomplishing something, said Julie Gabert, Outing Centre attendant and trip leader.

Gabert said there can be a “really peaceful” feeling on the trips because they allow people to get away from their usual time restraints and deadlines.

Campus Recreation Coordinator Ashley Sweda said he is planning a trip to the Allegheny Mountains in Northwestern Pennsylvania at the end of May. The trip will last from 11 to 14 days, depending on how long students want to stay.

Also planned for the summer are Lake Shabbona Play Days, where canoes, kayaks, sailboards and transportation to the lake are provided, Sweda said.

The number of excursions available over the summer will depend on students’ interest, he said.

Sweda said he is planning an August trip to the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.

All trips are “multi-dimensional,” where people are given the opportunity to participate in activities like proper canoeing techniques, star gazing or environmental education related to the region, Sweda said.

All outings are open to both students and faculty. Prices can vary depending on the destination and length of stay.

Trip cost cover everything except food, including transportation, lodging, a trip leader and all equipment, Gabert said.

Sweda said one-day and overnight trips draw about 12 to 15 people, while the longer trips include 14 to 18 students.

People who want to go on their own outings can rent equipment like tents, stoves and sleeping bags from the outing centre.

Other outdoor activity equipment, such as golf clubs, canoes, and backpacks can also be rented.

Depending on the item, rentals can be made for 1 to 17 days.

Sweda said students interested in any trips should call him at the OCR Outing Centre.