Funding, construction top agenda

By Vickie Snow

Summer construction projects and summer school funding are a few of the hot topics for Wednesday’s Faculty Assembly meeting.

NIU will look much different in the fall because of several remodeling projects on streets and buildings.

Assembly Chairman J. Carroll Moody said Eddie Williams, NIU vice president for Finance and Planning, will be at the meeting to warn faculty and students of inconveniences which might be caused by construction.

Projects include renovation of West Lucinda Avenue, widening of Lincoln Highway, remodeling the Williston/Adams corridor and redesigning the old Arndt house for NIU use.

NIU Provost Kendall Baker also will attend the meeting to answer questions about funding and other concerns about summer school, Moody said.

An ad hoc committee headed by assembly member Rodney Borstad was formed last year in response to faculty worries over the summer school program, Moody said.

Recently, the committee reconvened and will direct new and old problems to Baker, Moody said.

In other business, the assembly will be asked to approve a request by member Sherman Stanage to warn students who are considering joining the Reserve Officer Training Corps.

Stanage, whose motion was tabled at the last assembly meeting, said students should be aware of the fact that the ROTC program might not exist at NIU.

Some assembly members said it should be the responsibility of the ROTC, not NIU, to give such a notice.

The University Council has less than two years to have the program altered to allow homosexuals to become commissioned officers. If not, ROTC will be removed from campus.

The assembly also might endorse draft bylaws to accomodate the formation of the Faculty Senate in the fall, Moody said.

The draft set was introduced at last month’s meeting.

The Senate, a larger representative body than the assembly, then will approve the bylaws, he said.

NIU departments are in the process of electing representatives to join the Senate.

Additionally, the assembly will nominate a member to take Moody’s place as University Council Executive Secretary next semester, he said.

The UC will elect the representative at its May 2 meeting, Moody said.

The assembly meeting will be held at 3 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Heritage Room.