People like Hill make court life ‘E.C’ to handle

By Carl Ackerman

Michael Jordan, Joe Montana and Wayne Gretzky are just a few extremely prominent names in the games they play. Over the years, they have become superstars, but not by any means of luck.

To emerge as the “best of the best” is an arduous task that takes lots of patience, dedication and determination.

For some, this ever-long effort pays off. These people usually go to nationally-renowned schools that hold a strong rep for excellence in the sport they play.

Many people across the nation may not regard NIU as a big name sports school, but for the nation’s No. 1 ranked high school women’s basketball player, it will be her home for the next four years.

E.C Hill is the name, and playing basketball is her game.

Formerly ranked No. 2 in the nation at the beginning of last season, Hill had very little room for improvement. However, she took advantage of it and by season’s end was No. 1.

“She’s an unbelievable player,” said NIU coach Jane Albright. “She can create lots of things both offensively and defensively. That’s her best asset. She’s just a phenomenal player. She’s a great person too. Her attitude isn’t like she’s the best in the country. She just goes out there, and works as hard as she can.”

Hill, who signed with NIU last fall, had offers from just about every college in the nation. To the surprise of many, the Whitney Young High School product chose NIU as her destination.

“I got along with the team very well,” said Hill. “She (Albright) treated me like a person, not just an athlete. She related to me differently from other coaches.”

Another factor concerning her choice of college was her long-time friend and teammate last year Cindy Connor. Connor sat out for NIU last season as a Proposition 48 player, but figures to be a part of the dominant Huskie attack next season.

Although Hill said the proximity of NIU to her Chicago high school wasn’t that important, Albright felt like a player of her caliber shouldn’t have to travel far away to play on a competitive level.

“It wasn’t easy. We worked hard to recruit her,” said Albright, who first noticed the young star when she was in eighth grade.

“We got along well together. We’ve been writing since her freshmen year. It’s been a long process, but during her senior year we got serious with her,” said Albright.

With all these offers from so many colleges, it’s a wonder how Hill kept her composure.

“There was a lot of pressure. They (different schools and players across the nation) wanted me to go to someone bigger. At first, it was hard to adjust to the pressure, but I just decided that they’re not going to school for me. I’m going for myself,” said Hill.

Hill learned the game from her uncles, and at the age of four she began playing with her brothers. She has played with males quite often over the years, which she believes has improved her aggressiveness and shaped her into the player she is today.

Hill came five points away from claiming the girls’ basketball state record in a 73-point effort against Austin High School in December. Whitney Young won 134-23, and Hill scored 29 points in the fourth quarter.

Although her offense is what gets her most of the attention, Hill believes her play is balanced.

“My strength is in my offense, but my defense is not far behind. I think I’m a complete player. I’d like to improve on my defense. I think it’s overlooked in my game,” said Hill.

Hill describes herself as basically the same on the court as well as off the court with a desire to win and have fun. This is similar to Albright’s coaching techniques.

“Adjusting academic-wise and athletic-wise will be the biggest challenge (with NIU),” said Hill. “She (Albright) told me to relax, let it flow and don’t try too hard (athletically). She said to just do your best and work hard.

“I’m really looking forward to it (NIU). They had a big year last season, and I wanted to play,” said Hill.

Hill will get her chance this year, and the Huskies are welcoming her with open arms.