Campus crime on the rise in spring

By Lynn Priola

Along with the blooming of flowers in the spring comes a more uninvited pastime—the uprise of campus crime.

It might be known as “cabin fever” or it might be known as “campus rowdiness,” but the uprising of crime trends are expected in the spring, University Police Lt. Ken Kaiser said.

“There is a general increase of rowdiness on campus that is evident when the weather gets warmer,” Kaiser said.

Kaiser said more students want to get out after being inside all winter. He said there are more people out in groups, and “partying and general fun” can turn into assaults and battery charges.

“The consumption of alcohol is generally greater in the spring,” Kaiser said. “People let loose to have fun and in some cases this turns out to be more criminal damage than usual.”

Kaiser said campus crimes differ from city crimes because they produce immediate cash. For example, text books can be sold back by thieves because book store owners do not know if the books are stolen.

When spring comes, it is not unusual for a large increase in theft of books and bicycles on campus, Kaiser said. He said it is normal for thieves to roam residence hall floors just looking for books or other things of value to take.

“At this time of year, we try to warn students to be more aware that these activities go on as the school year draws near end,” Kaiser said.

Thieves usually take the whole backpack, leaving students with nothing to study for final exams, Kaiser said. He said the rest of the material usually is never recovered because it gets thrown away.

Kaiser said UPs do not see any relation to springtime crime rates and occurrences of sexual assault. He said many people think that the season is more “sexual” and increases the chances for an assualt to occur, but this is not true.

UP Sgt. Ralph Taylor said UPs have been informed on some fireworks incidents, but this is normal as school draws near a close. There are more cases in the spring evening hours, but UPs have not been aware of many yet, he said.