Student position debate continues

By Mark Gates and Vickie Snow

Student representation on the Joint University Advisory Council will be open for debate another month before it returns to the University Council for consideration.

At the UC meeting Wednesday, the council approved the recommendation of the External Affairs Committee denying student representation on JUAC.

Following this approval, the council passed a motion by Student Association President Huda Scheidelman to ask the Board of Regents to change NIU’s JUAC representation makeup to one student, three faculty members and one staff representative.

NIU has one staff representative and four faculty representatives on JUAC.

The Board of Regents governs NIU, Illinois State University at Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

John De Lillo, External Affairs Committee chairman, said the biggest factor in deciding against recommending student representation on JUAC was that students have access to the Regents through the student Regent.

Scheidelman argued JUAC representation is not the same as having a student Regent. The position of student Regent, established in 1977, being a substitute for JUAC representation portrays “unreasonable logic,” she said.

The council passed a recommendation asking for Supportive Professional Staff representation on JUAC, and waived the 30 day waiting period before sending the recommendation to the Regents.

De Lillo said the recommendation is to increase JUAC representation from five to six members per Regent school. An NIU professional staff member will be chosen to fill the position.