Bus accidents ‘unfortunate’

By Greg Rivara

Four Huskie Bus accidents in the past three weeks are nothing to worry about.

David Pack, Student Association Mass Transit adviser, called the accidents “unfortunate,” but said incidents are not uncommon during winter weather.

“The weather hasn’t helped things,” Pack said.

There were no major injuries in any of the accidents. Only one person was hospitalized, treated and immediately released from Kishwaukee Community Hospital.

Damage caused by Huskie Bus accidents are paid by the bus line’s insurance, and not from student fees, Pack said.

“The accidents are nothing out of the ordinary with the weather we’ve been having,” said Charles Battista, Huskie Bus Line general manager.

Every accident should be taken seriously, but only one of the four accidents might go to court, Battista said.

There has not been a serious Huskie Bus accident since 1983, when one person died.

Drivers attend monthly safety meetings throughout the semester, he said.

Most of the bus accidents happened when the buses turned corners and nicked other vehicles, Battista said. These accidents are not unusual because of the high volume of traffic around campus, he said.

Thirteen buses during the week and five on the weekend collectively travel a half a million miles on DeKalb streets each year, equal to driving around the world 20 times, Battista said.

The NIU student was hospitalized after being caught between a Huskie Bus and a parked car on Jan. 25. The bus swerved, trapping the student between the car and bus.

A man was charged by the DeKalb Police with driving without headlights when he hit a Huskie Bus on Feb. 6.

An accident on Feb. 9 involved a Greyhound bus waiting outside the Holmes Student Center and a Huskie Bus that clipped the back portion of the Greyhound.

The same type of accident on Feb. 15 involved a pizza delivery van and a Huskie Bus that cut a corner and caught the back of the van.