Students march to save forests

By Dana Netzel

NIU students will join other Illinois university students Monday in persuading the government to save the forests.

The NIU Student Environmental Action Coalition will participate in the “Green March on the Capitol.” Members will march in Springfield from Illinois’ former capitol building to the new capitol building’s east side.

Speakers will address governmental responsibilities about forestry. Other lectures will include proper forestry practices, recycling and using recycled products.

“Along with saving any other environmental projects, this should be of intense concern” to students, said SEAC Chairman Michael Baltasi.

Illinois students will call for reform of the United States Forest Service, Baltasi said. They also will be demanding recycling efforts in all state offices and the use of recycled paper by newspapers, he said.

Students will try to adopt the Native Forestry Protection Act, which bans the building of roads and logging in the remaining national forests.

According to SEAC, only 5 percent of the nation’s original forests remain and each year wilderness the size of two Rhode Islands is destroyed.

Students interested in participating in the march should call Baltasi at 758-1466.