Bond fee increase requested

By Ken Goze

Faced with a decrease in chargeable credit hours, NIU’s Business and Operations Division requested a 9.2 percent student bond fee increase, from $219.12 to $239.28 per year for full-time students.

Pat Hewitt, NIU associate vice president for business and opertions, said an increase is needed to compensate for an expected 2.2 percent drop in chargeable credit hours next year and a 6 percent staff salary increase.

The student bond fee supports operation of the Chick Evans Field House, Huskie Stadium, the Office of Campus Recreation, and the Holmes Student Center, Hewitt said.

Confusion over parts of the request, made during Monday’s meeting of President John La Tourette Fee Study Committee, has delayed further talks until the commitee’s final meeting today at 5 p.m.

Commitee member John Engstrom said the proposal showed an increase in sales costs at HSC, but no increase in sales revenue.

“I can’t beleive they wouldn’t pass the costs on (to customers),” Engstrom said.

In other business, the committee considered a revised 4 percent athletic fee increase, from $95.52 to $99.36 per year for full-time students.

While no athletic fee increase was initially requested, it was later revised to allow for inflation under Board of Regents guidelines.

Other proposed fee increases per year for full-time students in Fiscal Year 1991 include:

Bus Fee from $58.08 to $71.52.

Health Service Fee from $83.52 to $101.52

The Northern Star Fee from $1.92 to $3.60

Fee recommendations to the committee that do not request increases for FY 91 per year for full-time students include:

Undergraduate Activity Fee of $40.32

Graduate Student Activity Fee of $16.32

Law Student Activity Fee of $28.80

Grant-in-Aid Fee of $4.56

Law School Fee of $22.08

Undergraduate Student-to-Student Grant Fee of $6

Illinois Student Association Fee of $1