Donors offer aid with scholarships

By Serena Moy

Money for school is not hard to find if students know where to look.

Dorothy Razniewski, account technician of NIU’s Financial Aid Office, said about 350 private donors provide much of the money for scholarships.

These different scholarships depend on specific major, individual students and their year in school, said Razniewski. New scholarships are being offered all the time because companies are always sending in money, she said.

To find out about these private scholarships, students can go the Swen Parson Hall, room 245.

Joe Gastiger, NIU Honors Program coordinator, said scholarships offered depend on various factors from academic merit to community services.

Deadlines have already passed for some scholarships, such as the Institutional Tuition Waiver, Gastiger said. Students can still apply for the NIU Student Leadership Award and the NIU Senior Leadership Award, both deadlines are March 23.

Gastiger said most scholarships from any university are tied to recruiting good, new students to the school. More scholarships are offered for what students accomplished in high school than what they do while in college, said Gastiger.

Flecia Thomas, NIU University Programming and Activities associate director, said there are many scholarships still offered this semester. These include the Amoco Leadership Award, Crawford and Associates Award and the General Motors Spirit Award.

Thomas said at the end of the year, the students are invited to attend a banquet to be recognized for what they have accomplished.