UC meeting to address key concerns

By Vickie Snow

Asbestos removal and increased Joint University Advisory Council representation will be the main points of today’s University Council meeting.

The council meets at 3 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Sky Room.

Eddie Williams, NIU vice president of Finance and Planning, will present a report on the asbestos problem on campus.

Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody said he assumes the report will say that “in most public facilities there is a problem and the university is doing what it can about it.”

Concern about asbestos also arose at January’s council meeting.

The council also will address JUAC representation. Requests by Supportive Professional Staff and the Student Association for membership on JUAC were presented at the Feb. 7 Faculty Assembly meeting.

John DeLillo, chairman of UC’s external affairs committee, will address the issues separately.

Moody said he expects the committee to recommend he and NIU President John La Tourette meet with the Board of Regents to increase JUAC membership from five to six “with the understanding that NIU is pledging itself to give the seat to a professional staff member.”

The professional staff recommendation will be presented as a first reading, which means it cannot be voted on for a month, Moody said. But Moody said there might be a vote to waive the 30-day wait.

The SA’s request for a student representative on JUAC was refused at the assembly meeting last week.

SA President Huda Scheidelman will discuss the matter with the council as an information item “that doesn’t require action, but may be challenged,” Moody said.