Center helps students cope with employment

By Denis Tagler

NIU’s Career Planning and Placement Center helps students cope with the pressures and problems of finding a job after graduation.

Campus Recruiting Coordinator Jean Callary said the most used service in her office is the on-campus recruiting program. Callary said NIU’s recruiting process makes the entire ordeal much easier for both employers and students.

Students can begin the process by attending a campus interviewing orientation. This brief session explains interviewing procedures and teaches students skills for a successful interview.

After students have attended the initial orientation, they can then choose employers that would suit their career goals.

“Our recruiting program is unique because it allows all employers to see every resume submitted to us, unlike many other universities which follow a bidding system,” Callary said. Students must hand in their resumes to the center before the deadline.

“Companies from Allstate to Zenith are attracted to NIU because of enthusiastic students with strong work ethics and a willingness to sit down and learn,” Callary said.

Callary said there is a continuing demand for computer science and accounting majors, but the demand for education, nursing and math majors is just as great. Engineering majors and any health care majors are also needed in the job market.

Employers are looking for students with personal computer experience, Callary said. “Students who are not afraid to sit down in front of a computer and have good information processing skills are much more marketable than those students who lack the skills and enthusiasm,” Callary said.

The demand for bilingual students is always increasing and “if you speak Spanish or Japanese, then you and your skills will be in even more demand,” Callary said

George Kubat, assistant director of Career Planning and Placement, said there is a demand for teachers, especially in California, Arizona, Texas and Florida.