General Motors offers volunteer award

By Linda Liang

Although today’s world is money-oriented, warm hearts and a smile are still important factors in daily lives.

Three NIU students will be receiving the General Motors Volunteer Spirit Award at 3 p.m. on April 3 at the Sky Room in the Holmes Student Center.

Fabian DeRozario, Office of Campus Recreation coordinator, said there is no restriction to whom the award will be given and anyone volunteered can apply for the award.

“We are looking for individuals with true volunteer spirit, that is different from leadership and experience,” DeRozario said, “we want this award to be given to people that may not necessarily hold high offices with student organizations.”

He said he wants to give the award to people who volunteer in the community, as well as at NIU.

Last fall, NIU senior Tracey Bumpas was selected as the first winner of the GM Volunteer Spirit Award. Two other outstanding students will be recognized and awarded this spring.

“I feel quite honored. I think that people place little emphasis on volunteer work… people think in terms of money,” Bumpas said.

She said she applied through University Programming and Activities. She said she helped with a campus clean-up, blood drive, homeless pets’ care, fund raising and minority peer counseling.

The valuable part of volunteer work is “the feeling that you get from people, a ‘thank you’, a smile, even if you don’t get that, it’s a warm feeling in your heart,” Bumpas said.

After nominations and applications have been processed, the OCR will check candidates’ references and letters of recommendations for accuracy and participation, DeRozario said.

GM College Program coordinator Anne Hahn, said the Volunteer Spirit Award is part of the GM College Program that includes sponsorship of intramural sports, recreational sports and two $500 tuition awards from GM “Auto Expo” on campus.

Hahn said this is the program’s fourth year nationwide, but second time at NIU. She said there are 30 schools eligible for the program and three students are eligible from each school.

“Sharing your future,” is a college theme slogan from GM. Hahn said GM offers three shares of common stock to winners, and they also will get a plaque signed by GM Board Chairman Roger Smith and NIU President John La Tourette.

“I think this is something really deserved. This is very rewarding for them,” Hahn said, “they (volunteers) don’t get any recognition from doing volunteer work, off campus or in the community.”

Applications for the award are available at the UP&A office, sixth floor of the student center and the recreation center. The deadline for applications is March 2, 1990.