Petition questions district’s fairness

By Dana Netzel

The Student Association has about a month to propose a voting district which is better than the current five-district system.

District 1 Sen. Phill Buoscio postponed his petition which questioned the fairness of the current voting districts.

Buoscio claims there is unequal representation within each district. The current voting system is divided into five districts, each with nine senate seats.

But Buoscio said the districts are not proportional to the number of students in each district. According to SA bylaws, each senator should represent 500 students.

Buoscio submitted a petition to the SA Supreme Court on Feb. 6, but agreed postponing the hearing until March 8, after the SA Internal Affairs Committee finds a better proposal.

SA Supreme Court Justice Ed Gil said consulting the Supreme Court “wasn’t improper, but other remedies were available.”

IAC formed a subcommittee Thursday to investigate different avenues. The committee consists of five members, one from each district.

Members will be appointed and approved by IAC on Feb. 15, said Sen. James Mertes, an IAC member.

The committee will contact organizations around campus, such as the Residence Hall Association, Interfraternity Council and the Black Student Union to hear concerns about the voting districts, Mertes said.

IAC wants to “get the views of as many people as we can,” Mertes said.

A compromise based on the organization’s concerns will be written by the subcommittee and presented to IAC on March 8. The senate will hear the final proposal March 29, said SA Vice President Steve Coloia.

“Phill had good intentions,” but the correct way was through IAC, Coloia said.