Candidate discusses priorities

By Ellen Skelly

Affirmative action, student retention and leadership are three focuses of the third candidate for NIU vice president for student affairs.

The candidate, Narbeth Emmanuel, spoke Tuesday at an open forum of about 15 people in the Holmes Student Center.

Emmanuel said he is a “strong believer in affirmative action” and wants to reach out to “under-represented” NIU organizations, creating programs to alleviate racial differences.

The Student Affairs Office plays an important role in retaining students until they graduate, he said.

There is a very tight connection between people in academic affairs and student affairs, Emmanuel said. The two should have similar goals, but could work toward them in different ways, he said.

Students can participate outside of classes and increase leadership abilities by being Resident Assistants, participating in student government and being active in greek organizations, he said.

Emmanuel said he is very concerned with graduating athletes, and that “the athletic experience must come second,” after classes.

The position interests Emmanuel because of NIU leadership, the location and because it would be a career advancement.

The leadership at NIU is “solid” and NIU President John La Tourette is positioning NIU to become one the best universities in Illinois, Emmanuel said.

Emmanuel has been assistant vice president for student affairs at the University of Vermont, Burlington, since September of 1989.