SA to study styrofoam hazards

By Amy Goldhagen

The use of styrofoam might become the environmental issue of the semester as mounting concern over its biodegradability and devastating effects on the atmosphere sparks an effort to ban its use at NIU.

Student Association President Huda Scheidelman said although the SA has examined the issue since last semester, it has not endorsed a ban because of the inability to propose an effective alternative.

Scheidelman said the SA has created a task force which will research more extensively this semester. “Before I leave my term, I hope to have enough research to propose an effective alternative,” she said.

Environmental Biology Professor James Grosklags said the use of styrofoam raises two important concerns. Some types of styrofoam contain fluorinated carbon compounds which deteriorate the ozone layer, he said.

Fluorocarbons are contained in tiny air bubbles within the styrofoam, he said. When released, these gases rise into the upper atmosphere and react with the earth’s protective ozone, causing the ozone to decompose.

“Another problem with styrofoam is that it does not decompose, which leaves us the problem of how to get rid of it,” Grosklags said.

“There are ways to destroy styrofoam, such as burning it, however the byproducts associated with such processes are often more harmful than just dumping it in a landfill,” he said.

NIU Student Regent Bob Tisch called the use of styrofoam “an environmental horror,” adding that “several movements to ban use of styrofoam have been effective on other campuses and hopefully we can create enough awareness to discontinue its use here at NIU.”

Tisch said although the final decision on the issue will be primarily administrative, campus-wide support is necessary before action will be taken.