Refund demands increase

By Ellen Skelly

More NIU students want their health insurance refund.

In fiscal year 1988, there were more than 7,000 refunds given out while about 32,000 students and dependents received the insurance, costing $41.86 each semester.

Insurance cost more than $65 in FY89, when an estimated 28,000 students and dependents kept insurance and more than 9,000 got refunds.

This year’s insurance cost is $78.54 per semester. There were more than 5,000 refunds last semester while more than 12,000 students and dependents purchased insurance plans, said Regina Crosby, student health plan manager. More than 200 insurance plans covering all children in a family were also purchased.

Crosby estimates 5,500 refunds will be given out this semester.

Although the prices are rising, it is “still a very economical plan,” said Dana Mills, associate director of University Health Services.

Money collected for student insurance goes to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, except for 63 cents per student. This money goes to the Health Service for administering the health plan, including employees’ wages, Crosby said.

There are benefits in keeping two insurance policies or dropping an existing policy, Mills said. The NIU plan offers coverage for pre-existing conditions or substance abuse, which some plans do not cover, and the “vast majority of plans have higher deductibles.”

NIU also might not be in the geographical area covered by a Health Maintenance Organization policy, and some HMO’s do not cover “routine but necessary” costs, Mills said.

NIU requires all full-time students to carry insurance because of the expense of outside care, Mills said.

Most college students as a group are very healthy. However, students might need insurance when sudden medical attention is needed, he said.

In order to receive a refund on student insurance, the student must have equal or better coverage than NIU insurance provides, Mills said.

Students qualifying for refunds must show proof of other coverage and can apply for the refund from health services until Jan. 31.

Blue Cross has been the underwriter for NIU insurance 14 of the past 15 years, Mills said. He said up to 40 insurance companies make bids every two years to handle NIU student insurance.

All full-time NIU students are automatically charged for insurance on schedule bills. The refunds are applied as a credit on the bills.

The contract with Blue Cross will expire at the end of the summer semester.