Voters against MLK statue fee

By Dana Netzel

NIU students are opposed to paying an extra $2 in student fees next year for a Martin Luther King statue.

A Student Association referendum Wednesday asked if students would support a one-year $1 per semester fee for the statue, which would be placed in the King Memorial Commons, but 166 out of 282 voters voted “no.”

“I can understand why students do not want to use a fee toward a work of art,” said SA President Huda Scheidelman. The referendum’s purpose was to find out how students felt about the issue, she said.

There were 111 votes supporting the fee and five ballots were invalid, SA Election Commissioner Ray Callahan said.

The referendum “just affects the source of funding” and hopefully not the statue’s purchase, Scheidelman said. She declined further funding comments until the issue is discussed with Eddie Williams, vice president of finance and planning, and other SA executive board members.

The board includes Scheidelman, Vice President Steve Coloia and Treasurer Bruce Williams.

Bruce Williams previously said price estimates range from $95,000 to $145,000. Students have set aside $10,000 from the original funds and the administration has agreed to match any funds the students raise.

Eddie Williams was unavailable for comment.