Greeks assist local causes

By Amy Goldhagen

NIU’s greek system does more than just provide its members with social opportunities—it also gives them the chance to serve others at local and national levels.

“Community service is a vital part of every fraternity and sorority’s constitution,” said Steve Sliga, former InterFraternity Council vice president of affairs. He added all fraternities and sororities participate in a wide variety of philanthropy projects throughout the year.

Greek Adviser Mary Ronan said the greek system plays a major role in the DeKalb area. Local officials know they can rely on fraternities and sororities in times of need, whether it be a local or national emergency, she said.

Ronan said NIU fraternities and sororities have recently joined forces to aid victims of the San Francisco earthquake.

Sliga said although fraternities and sororities participate in many types of activities, fraternities usually concentrate their efforts towards local causes, but most sororities have a national philanthropy as well.

Sororities tend to deal more with fundraising, while fraternities deal more with actual service, he said.

Fraternities typically sponsor three to six events each year for different charities in which all members of the fraternity participate, Sliga said.

Raul Medrano, a member of Delta Chi fraternity’s philanthropy committee, said Delta Chi is trying to assist a wide variety of charities this year. Medrano said Delta Chi sponsored a sorority football tournament last semester to aid the DeKalb animal shelter.

“It was a learning experience for all of us because it was an organization that many of us were unfamiliar with. I never realized that the shelter did not receive public funding. I learned a lot about the shelter and it made me feel like we really helped them,” Medrano said.

Delta Chi decorated a Christmas tree in the Holmes Student Center to benefit the American Cancer Society, Medrano said. Sponsors who made donations were represented by an ornament on the tree.

George Walden, Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity philanthropy chairman, said the fraternity’s annual “Second City” fundraiser made more than $1,500 for the Northern Illinois Special Physical Education Clinic and Campus Child Care Center.

“People tend to see fraternities in a bad light. Our contributions to philanthropies help people realize that we do more than just party and go to class,” Walden said.

Michelle Smith, Delta Zeta sorority philanthropy chairman, said Delta Zeta sponsors an annual pancake breakfast to raise money for its national philanthropy, Galluadet University, the only university for the deaf in the United States. Smith said their chapter received a rose medallion at their national convention for their contributions to Galluadet.

“This year we are trying to get more involved with the local deaf community as well as helping them at the national level,” Smith said. Delta Zeta sponsored a bowl-a-thon with hearing imparired students, in which all proceeds were contributed to the local deaf community, she said.

Other sororities also sponsor events for their national philanthropies. Delta Phi Epsilon’s Campus Faces, a male talent contest, raises money for Cystic Fibrosis. Delta Gamma’s Anchor Splash, raises money for their national philanthropy, Aid to the Blind and Sight Conservation.