City considers raising liquor violation fines

By Bill Schwingel

Students patronizing local taverns might need to check their available cash before drinking because of a proposal passed by the DeKalb City Council Monday.

DeKalb City Manager Ron Matekaitis suggested increased fines for alcohol violations. The current $60 fine does “not have a significant impact” on students violating the liquor ordinance, he said.

If the proposal is passed into an ordinance, fines for minors consuming and possessing alcohol and entering or remaining in a tavern would increase to a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $500.

“I think it’s an excessive amount,” Pennington said. A slight raise in fines is not unusual, “but to double the fines” is “unheard of,” he said.

The proposal is intended to “discourage repeat offenders” and the initial violation of the ordinance, Matekaitis said.

“I don’t see this as a deterrent,” said 6th Ward Alderman Jamie Pennington. He said the council would use funds from increased fines to raise revenues for the city, he said.

“I honestly don’t think it’s going to be a deterrent,” said 7th Ward Alderman Jeff Monroe. A state law would be more effective than a city ordinance if the city wants to deter liquor violations, he said.

The proposal would increase delivery of alcohol to a minor and misrepresenting age fines to a minimum of $150 and a maximum of $500. Fines for the sale of liquor without a license are a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $1,000 if the proposal is passed.

The current fines for liquor violations range from $60 to $150. Notices of fine increases would be posted in taverns.

Monroe tried to amend the proposal to only affect people under age 18 for delivering alcohol, but the council opposed this.

First Ward Alderman Christine Hoagland said she disagrees with the amendment because she feels the delivery violation should carry a higher fine. The proposal is geared toward high school students, she said.