Candidates vie for student affairs’ VP

By Ellen Skelly

The five candidates considered for NIU vice president for student affairs have, for the most part, worked well with student representatives from their universities.

The five candidates are Augustine Pounds, Murray State University in Kentucky; Narbeth Emmanuel, University of Vermont at Burlington; Barbara Henley, NIU; Barry Ward Reister, Queens College, New York and James Gold, State University of New York at Buffalo.

Eddie Allen, Murray State’s Student Association president, said Friday he had heard of Pounds’ application to NIU earlier that day. Pounds will visit NIU tomorrow and have a 2 p.m. forum in the Holmes Student Center’s University Suite.

Allen said he has seen advances during the year Pounds has been at Murray State, which has 7,500 students.

Robert Rosen, student body president at the University of Vermont, said he holds Emmanuel in the highest regard.

Emmanuel, who will visit NIU Jan. 30, has pushed for cultural diversity, more student involvement and has been supportive of student organizations, Rosen said. The U of V has a 10,900 enrollment, less than half of NIU’s.

John Fallon, NIU Student Association senate speaker, said Henley, acting vice president for student affairs, is “very accommodating and accessible.” Henley will interview Feb. 2.

He said he would be pleased to see her remain in her current position, but would like to interview the other candidates as well.

Robert Westervelt, news editor for the Queens College Quad, said he has worked closely with Reister, but was unaware of his application to NIU. Westervelt said he would recommend Reister for the position, although Queens is a commuter school with no on-campus housing. Reister will visit NIU Feb. 6.

Queens has 28,700 students. Westervelt said Reister is considered the one student advocate in the administration.

The final candidate, Gold, has “always been honest and forthright” as vice president for student affairs at the State University of New York, said Ramone Tarkins, United Student Government president. SUNY has 27,000 students. Gold visited NIU Jan. 17.