Workshops continue to aid students’ grief

By Dana Netzel

Psychologists in NIU’s Counseling and Student Development Center are supporting students this semester with the continuation of group workshops.

A group setting allows psychologists to serve more individuals and address many areas. Sometimes, “five heads are better than one,” said Kathy Hotelling, director of counseling and student development.

The “groups can be very beneficial for individuals,” because there is a supportive atmosphere, said Barbara Zuber, a center counselor.

The center is continuing groups from last semester, but also adding a few new groups. Included in the new groups is a black female support group, focusing on relationships, stress, depression and self-esteem specifically for African-American women.

A relationship addiction group also is new and it will focus on the problem of addiction and dependency in a peer, romantic or family relationship.

For some people, “love turns into an addiction or emotional dependency,” Zuber said. The relationship addiction group will explore alternatives and provide education in this area.

The incest survivors group will be available only for females this semester. Women with a history of sexual abuse are encouraged to attend the group which will focus on trust, isolation and self-esteem, Zuber said.

Continuing groups include adults who are children of alcoholics. Individuals can join the group to discuss the effect of alcoholism on family members.

The bulimia therapy group will assist people in discovering better ways of coping with feelings of stress. The purpose of the group is to understand binging and purging and ways to cope with it. Zuber added the group is not appropriate for anorexics.

People who do not feel comfortable with themselves might want to attend the self-esteem group, she said. Group members will feel better about themselves and also help them interact with others productively.

For more information about the dates and times of group sessions call the center at 753-1206.