Center short on workers, large on pile

By Karri E. Christiansen

Behind Stevenson Towers Complex there lies a heap of cans, paper and plastic milk jugs next to the Student Association Recycling Center that remains untouched.

Amanda Rutter, an assistant at the Recycling Center, Stadium Drive West, said there is a 100 bag pile-up of “recyclables,” primarily newspapers and milk jugs.

Rutter said the backup is due to workers leaving for Christmas break while DeKalb residents continued to deposit their aluminum cans, glass bottles, milk jugs and newspapers.

Recycling Center Director Dave Broustis said the clean-up of the backup will take two to three weeks before the center’s recycling would return to normal.

The Recycling Center recycled 364.98 tons of newspapers and 5.02 tons of plastic in 1989, according to a Recycling Fact Sheet from the center.

Rutter said during the break there were only two workers at the center. The center currently has eight employees, each working about 10 hours a week.

The center relies on volunteers, although they have none that come in on a regular basis, Rutter said. “We’re in dire need for volunteers,” she said.

Three students who worked for the Recycling Center last semester graduated, adding to the current pile-up, she said. The center regularly employs four to five community service workers on Saturdays.

The center is open Monday through Friday and has 24 hour drop-boxes at the Univeristy Health Service, Wirtz Hall, the Office of Campus Recreation and other campus buildings. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays.

The center will collect aluminum, light green or brown glass bottles, paper, computer paper, computer cards and newspapers. All donations are voluntary and no money is paid for them.

Rutter said the recycling process includes drivers picking up recyclables from drop-boxes, taking them to the center where they are sorted and sent to various dealers. Some of the dealers include DeKalb County Disposal, 115 Simonds Ave.; Dimco Recycling Center Inc., 900 Oak St.; and the DuPage Paper, she said.

Rutter said efforts being made to have residents completely recycle their products include programs such as the Campus Clean-up Day and concerts using cans or bottles as admission.