Greek faculty advisers make a ‘difference’

By Mark McGowan

Each NIU greek organization must have a faculty adviser to be recognized by the Student Association, but the role of faculty adviser is more than a ceremonial position.

Greek Affairs Adviser Mary Ronan said the advisers assist in scholastic endeavors, attend meetings, arrange educational programs and advise officers.

“Some really take the initiative,” she said. “They mix and mingle (with the fraternities and sororities).”

Ronan said the advisers also sign documents for the groups, including reserving university rooms and arranging catering. “They can become very involved,” she said.

Assistant Provost Anthony Fusaro is both the faculty and chapter adviser for Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity. Fusaro said he maintains contact with the students and university officials to make sure the two are cooperating.

“It keeps me in tune with the thinking of students,” Fusaro said. “It gives me an opportunity to teach, advise and work with students.” Fusaro said he enjoys seeing students develop and, “in turn, I develop.”

Z Ahmad, University Programming and Activies coordinator and Sigma Chi adviser, said he enjoys watching people develop as they come into the house. “I like being able to make a positive difference,” he said.

Other advisers have attained their positions through a long association with the greek system. Russ Graham, Delta Chi adviser and assistant football coach, was the house parent of Delta Gamma, while his wife was adviser.

Graham said he is planning to get more involved with the fraternity since the football season is over. “They do a great job on their own, but I’m making sure their goals are met.”

James Marett, assistant director of NIU’s Honors Program, began his career with greek life and faculty advising when Delta Sigma Phi was a colony. “I relay concerns of the university to the fraternity,” Marett said. He added his agenda with the group is to improve its academic standing.

Marett also has been a speaker at meetings and dinners, as well as sitting on the Delta Sigma Phi Alumni Control Board. “I don’t monitor parties, though,” he said, adding he tries to “unobtrusively provide a level experience.”

Most fraternity and sorority members are pleased with their advisers. Kim Kolek, Phi Beta Chi president, said Linda Sons, adviser and NIU mathematics professor, is “excellent. She’s just great.”

Kolek said Sons arranges space for their meetings at Sons’ church. “The adviser system brings the university closer to the students,” Kolek said. “Linda Sons attends our meetings and functions and gives us a lot of ideas.”

Stacey McCormick, Alpha Delta Pi president, said Brad McDonald, faculty adviser and NIU management instructor, “makes a difference. We get along really well.”