Hillel sponsors noon rally

By Mark McGowan

A noon anti-racism rally will counter Black Muslim leader Louis Farrakhan’s lecture Tuesday.

The Hillel Jewish Student Organization will sponsor the rally in the King Memorial Commons. Farrakhan’s speech is at 8 p.m. at the Chick Evans Field House.

The rally is a direct response to Farrakhan’s lecture, said Hillel and Student Association member Brad Strauss. “Farrakhan is just as much as a racist as anyone else. Just because you’re a minister, doesn’t mean you can’t be a racist,” he said.

“There’s not enough police protection for us (to protest at the speech),” said Strauss.

Joy Schreiber, president of the group, said Hillel members are “hoping to get people to realize what racism is, what causes it and the lack of education about it.”

Because of the potential for violence, Schreiber said members are “better off not doing anything at night. I don’t even want to be around there if they (other students) are talking about violence,” she said.

No speakers have been chosen for the event. “This all happened so quickly, we don’t have the luxury of time,” Strauss said.

Otis Moore, Black Student Union vice president, said he is “happy” Hillel organized an anti-racism meeting, although he hopes its intentions are true and not against Farrakhan.

“I believe Farrakhan is not a racist,” Moore said. “I think he’s been misconstrued. They (Hillel members) should take the opportunity to experience this, instead of going on hearsay.”

Further controversy was sparked Wednesday by Chris O’Banner, BSU president, who said a forum between the BSU and Hillel was called for “ulterior motives” and reasons other than communication.

The “ulterior motives” were a petition circulated by Strauss and Student Association Sen. Jordan Kagan opposing the allocation of $4,000 of student fees—about 18 cents per student—to partially fund Farrakhan’s appearance.

In 1985, Farrakhan’s NIU visit was free of charge and about 2,000 students attended.

O’Banner said he viewed the petitions as against the BSU and that there would not be any more meetings between the two groups.

“That’s absolutely ludicrous,” Strauss said. “We made no promises (of favoring the student-fee funding). We want to communicate.”

Any profits from the appearance—expected to bring in between $12,000 and $16,000 in ticket sales—will be put into the NIU Student Activity Fee. Farrakhan is guaranteed $9,000 with a possible $3,000 more from ticket sales.

Security will be tight at the event. University Police Capt. James Webster said all of the force’s 28 officers will be working at the appearance at the request of President John La Tourette. DeKalb police also will be on call for support if needed.

The UPs have borrowed both pass-through and hand-held metal detectors, but Webster said hand-frisking is unlikely unless spectators set off the alarms.

The Field House will be closed after business hours for a “cursory search” by UPs, Webster said.

Webster said he does not expect any trouble and added he phoned Amhearst College, Amhearst, Mass., the site of a recent Farrakhan lecture. “They said they had no problems,” Webster said.

Farrakhan will speak on issues such as the decline of the nation’s educational system, drug problems and alleged anti-Semetism associated with some of his positions.