NIU to alter general education program

By Amy Goldhagen

The constitution test requirement has been dropped from the curriculum, but it signals only the beginning of the university’s quest to improve NIU’s general education program.

James Norris, NIU’s dean of liberal arts and sciences, said although he proposed the test requirement be dropped, he has recommended the university further define its general education curriculum.

“I raised the issue of the test requirement because I felt we had an obligation to be honest with our students. After evaluating the test, it was clear that it was not serving its purpose. But I still feel we have an obligation to educate students on the principles which our country stands for,” Norris said.

He added that students need to know what their own country stands for before they can “effectively understand and evaluate other societies,” Norris said.

Anthony Scaperlanda, associate dean of liberal arts and sciences, directs a committee which will re-assess the requirements. Scaperlanda said although the committee is in its preliminary stages, several areas are being examined.

One point of discussion has been the addition of an American culture requirement. This area would deal with American government as well as American literature and history.

Scaperlanda said this requirement would emphasize American culture, including the aspects of government, thus replacing and improving on the constitution test requirement.

Scaperlanda described the test as “just another hurdle for students to pass in order to graduate,” adding, “The American culture requirement will ensure that students really understand the principles behind the United States.”

Race and cultural diversity also are being considered as another possible area of the revised curriculum. Scaperlanda said this requirement will deal not only with racism in the United States, but with cultural relations worldwide.

“It is important for students to understand there is a larger picture of cultural and racial diversity outside of the United States,” said Scaperlanda.

The committee also is considering a requirement focusing on the role of gender in society. Scaperlanda said the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana has a gender relations requirement which has been positively evaluated and might be used as a basis for the committee’s study.

Scaperlanda said the committee is still in the very preliminary stages, but he expects to have a general idea of the type of changes to be made by the middle of next semester.

In addition to the proposed changes in the general education requirements, Pamela Jackson, chairperson of the general education committee, said her committee is evaluating the current curriculum.

Starting in January, Jackson said all social science courses in the general education package must be resubmitted for approval. Following the social sciences, the committee will assess each emphasis with similar criteria.

“The committee will consider the course’s workload and how well it meets its objectives, as well as student feedback. This will enable us to evaluate the current program so we know where to focus improvement efforts,” Jackson said.