SA amendments to be addressed at meeting

By Mark McGowan

Several constitutional amendments will come before the Student Association senate at its Sunday night meeting in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room.

SA Vice President Steve Coloia said the amendments will include temporary recognition of campus organizations, operating rules concerning senate speaker elections and SA endorsements, senator election procedures and the SA Supreme Court justice appointment process.

The election procedures discussions will review districting, how candidates get their names on ballots and the petition-signature requirement, Coloia said. Senate hopefuls currently must collect 200 signatures to run for election, a problem that caused many candidates to drop out of this fall’s election.

In other business, SA President Huda Scheidelman will discuss the financial advisory board and her proposal to put students on the board. Her four appointments would include one graduate student of business or law, one “regular” graduate student and two undergraduate students. She also will address the HSC space study commission.

Community Affairs Adviser Brian Subatich will discuss new SA resolutions on the Denver Boot and pre-paid rent to landlords.

Subatich said the committee is trying to require landlords to pay interest on pre-paid rent. It also is working toward only allowing landlords to collect one month of pre-paid rent for a unit of any size.

SA Welfare Committee Adviser Morenike Cheatom’s report will include handicapped accessibility around campus.