NIU to hold open house for freshmen, transfer students

By Tanya Cornwell

NIU will host more than 1,200 possible students and their parents at the open house Nov. 13.

“The open house is intended for high school and junior college students, their families, and anyone who wants to know more about NIU and its many academic options,” said Diane Scoma from the NIU Office of Public Information.

The day’s activities start at the Duke Ellington Ball Room of the Holmes Student Center with a bus tour of the campus, a tour through a residence hall and a brief audio-visual introduction to NIU. The free programs are open at any time between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Scoma said lunch will not be provided; however, the students will be provided with coupons and maps for local restaurants.

There also will be academic and financial aid advisers available in the ballroom throughout the day. Advisers will be available to answer questions and help students prepare for college.

“It is an excellent opportunity for future students that are either undecided about coming to NIU or their major to talk to academic advisers and see what the campus has to offer,” said Scoma.

The NIU student body is usually very helpful and cooperative in answering questions and giving directions, and Scoma said she hopes the warm welcome continues in the future.

NIU also has campus tours that leave at 1:30 p.m. each weekday from the admissions office, Williston Hall 101, and at noon Saturdays between Labor Day and Memorial Day.