Drinking ideas change

By Amy Goldhagen

Increased regulation and concern with liability along with changing student attitudes might make “getting smashed” a thing of the past, especially on Greek Row.

Sigma Pi fraternity sponsored a greek alcohol awareness seminar Tuesday evening discussing InterFraternity Council alcohol regulations, liability considerations and law enforcement perspectives for the greek system.

“I’d like to think the greek system is really changing,” said Greek Affairs Adviser Mary Ronan. “I’ve seen several chapters putting forth a lot of effort, but it is still far from enough.”

IFC Judicial Board Member Greg Mylin said he has seen “drastic changes,” especially within the greek system, since he entered NIU as a freshman.

“When I pledged, every fraternity had wet rush—now that’s illegal. It used to be that you could walk down Greek Row on any Thursday night and see people lined up to get into an open party; you just don’t see it any more,” Mylin said.

Sigma Pi President Mike Russo agreed that things have changed. “I remember waiting in line to get into parties. I usually never even knew who was throwing them, but at the time it didn’t matter—as long as they had beer. I think that kind of party has become obsolete,” Russo said.

DeKalb Police Detective Ron Pearson said the selling of alcohol is the major problem from a criminal standpoint; however, the real problem results from civic implications.

“When an arrest is made for selling alcohol, the criminal implications can be dealt with through appropriate fines,” Pearson said.

“When there is no carding or monitoring at parties people can be hurt and even killed. It is these types of lawsuits that are the most damaging. By enforcing our city ordinanaces, we’re trying to prevent these,” he added.

“Liability has become a buzzword on Greek Row,” said Ronan, “Unfortunately, lawsuits are more a reality than ever before. Fraternities are learning from experience their organizations are a lot like businesses; what one person does can affect the entire group, even at a national level,” she said.

The possibility of lawsuits is forcing NIU’s greek system to adopt self regulation policies. “We have to show we have the ability to manage our social atmosphere,” Mylin said, adding greek organizations are trying to move away from their image as purely social institutions.

Ronan said although NIU’s greek system does not have a standard alcohol policy, an effective policy could be formed if all organizations are willing to work together.

Such standardized alcohol policies are becoming a national trend, she said, mentioning many universities who have successfully implemented such policies.

Although many of the Greek Row changes stem from the liability issue, it also seems attitudes are changing—but not overnight.

“I don’t think we’ll ever stop underage drinking in a college town like DeKalb, but I have seen increased emphasis on responsible drinking, especially from the greek community,” Pearson said.

“Greeks can not solve this problem on their own, but it seems like the best place to start,” Russo said.

Since greek organizations are known for their social functions, their actions are monitored closely, he said. “If we advocate responsible drinking, we can set an example for the rest of campus.”

“It is important to remember this is not just a greek issue, but they seem to be leading the way,” Pearson said. Open parties on John Street and College Avenue also have declined this semester, due largely to stricter law enforcement, he added.

onan said she sees a definite trend toward non-alcoholic social events. Fraternity and sorority members were recently asked to vote on their most sucessful social event of the semester.

“I was suprised to see that most members listed non-alcoholic social events as their favorites,” Ronan said. Traditional mixers are becoming a thing of the past and fraternities and sororities are finding creative alternatives such as pumpkin carving, scavenger hunts, caroling, and attending sporting events, she said.

“In our age group, irresponsible drinking has been celebrated for the last several years,” Mylin said. “It will take a long time before this attitude dies out, but I think that beyond college, drinking is becoming less and less acceptable.”

Michael Haines, of Health Enhancement Services, said heavy drinking on college campuses declined for the first time ever in the Spring of 1989.

Haines added evidence supports the idea that this trend will continue. “At NIU, more than one in four students feel drinking in moderation is OK, but it is not socially acceptable to get drunk,” he said.

Mylin said the attitude toward Greek Row seems to be getting better every year, as fraternities and sororities better educate their members.

“We’re losing people with the stereotypical attitudes about college and greek life,” he said.