Qualifications discussed

By Nissin Behar

The 13-member search committee for NIU vice president for student affairs will meet for the second time Friday to discuss specific screening criteria qualified applicants should possess.

Curt Behrens, committee co-chairman and NIU management professor, said the type of doctorate degree an applicant should have and how to narrow the size of pool applicants are considered screening criteria.

The committee includes representatives from NIU’s Faculty Assembly, two undergraduates and one graduate student appointed by the Student Association, supporting professional staff and operating staff.

On Nov. 1 and Nov. 8, the advertisement for the job was published in the Chronicle of Higher Education. It also was published this month in Black Issue in Higher Education and in the Affirmative Action Register, Behrens said. Efforts will be made to recruit a minority individual for the position, he said.

The advertisement states that candidates should have a doctoral degree, managerial experience in higher education student affairs, leadership experience and a commitment to affirmative action and the creation of a positive campus environment. The position will be filled by July 1, 1990.

The student affairs office includes: University Programming and Activities, Student Housing, Student Financial Aid, the Counseling and Student Development Center, the Office of Campus Recreation, Career Planning and Placement Center, Judicial Office, University Health Service and Campus Child Care.

Barbara Henley was named acting vice president in August, replacing Jon Dalton, who left NIU to accept a similar position at Florida State University in Tallahassee.