Review of system to be considered

By Michelle Landrum

The Student Association will discuss plans to evaluate the System of Systems, which governs all Illinois public universities, at their 6 p.m. meeting Sunday in Grant North cafeteria.

The Board of Regents, which governs NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield, is part of the System of Systems.

“I don’t think the Board of Regents and the Illinois Board of Higher Education understand the perceptions,” said SA President Huda Scheidelman. The Regency campuses view the board negatively, she said.

A committee formed “to review and assess the System of Systems” will meet on campus from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room, Scheidelman said. The committee will hear five-minute testimonies from any NIU student or faculty members regarding their opinions of Illinois’ higher education systems.

Those wishing to speak must submit their statements in writing to J. Carroll Moody, University Council executive secretary, Scheidelman said.

In other business, the SA will discuss plans to aid California earthquake victims through a campus-wide fundraiser. The SA will send money rather than food and clothing because supplies are too expensive to ship, Scheidelman said.

The fundraiser will be Nov. 13 through 18 and involve various campus groups as “one huge campaign made up of smaller campaigns,” said SA Vice President Steve Coloia.

The senate also will discuss improving handicapped accessibility on campus by installing a ramp in the Holmes Student Center. A ramp and a chairlift might be installed by the entrance to the Huskies Den to provide access to the HSC’s lower level, she said.

The SA previously planned to install a ramp by the Students’ Legal Assistance Office in the student center, but questioned whether the ramp would meet building code standards, Scheidelman said.