Faculty Assembly to add SA member

By Nissin Behar

The Faculty Assembly approved Wednesday to add a Student Association member as a non-voting student liaison.

SA President Huda Scheidelman will appoint an SA member who will be subject to the approval of the SA Senate.

William Monat, chairman of the assembly’s rules and governance committee, said the student will not be allowed to go into executive session because “it concerns personnel matters and does not pertain to the student.”

In other business, NIU faculty members were informed of a hearing to be held at NIU next week about the effectiveness of Illinois’ four governing boards. The hearing panel is a result of Sen. Patrick Welch’s, D-LaSalle-Peru, and a Senate resolution following NIU’s unsuccessful bid for a separate governing board this spring. Four additional hearings are slated across the state.

The hearing will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room. The panel will discuss items including the appointment of university presidents, Monat said.

The panel consists of one member from each public university in the state and four student representatives: one from each governing system. NIU student regent Bob Tisch will represent the Board of Regents. One person will represent all of Illinois’ community colleges. There are also five representatives, one from each governing board staff and one from the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

University Council Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody told the Assembly that some faculty members are not pleased with the Faculty Bulletin. “People would stop me all over campus, including the cafeteria, and ask about the distribution of Faculty Bulletin,” he said.

The publication, printed about eight times a year, includes outdated minutes from UC meetings, Moody said. Faculty members have noted that too much space in the bulletin is used for reprinting the UC minutes, when it could be used for faculty articles and editorials, he said.