Some weird things are happening here

By Bill Schwingel

Over the past couple weeks I’ve noticed one or two bizarre things around campus.

I was waiting for a friend in the Holmes Student Center and suddenly I heard a “Gasp!,” a “Sigh!” and a “Say What?!” I turned to discover a group of about 50 students watching All My Children.

Talk about unity! Everyone laughed together, got angry together and were too wrapped up in the television to notice race, sex or an earthquake for that matter.

An idea bounced to my brain. How about we have Soap Opera Days. This would involve every Friday and Monday (everyone knows these are the best days to watch soaps) at the time of your favorite soap.

This of course would call for a rescheduling of classes—professors watch soaps too—gathering at the student center to watch with people. What a way to meet people.

“Hope, Hope, Hope.”

“Randy, Randy, Randy.”

“Hi, I’m Brett. I’ve been watching since Randy had that vasectomy.”

“Hi, Sue’s the name. I’ve been a part of Hope’s life since her husband ‘s brother’s son got her pregnant.”

“Oh yeah? Want to start our own soap opera?”

“Thanks, but I’d rather watch two-dimensional characters mate with Scooby Do than have a one dimensional relationship with a hormone.”

On to another weird happening. Remember “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and those ugly blue Oompa Loompas? Well, I was waiting for a bus on a rather chilly day and noticed a peculiarity.

Every five to 10 seconds a woman, or so I figured, with a resemblance to one of those darling Oompa Loompas, kept opening the door to her townhouse and sticking her head out looking for the bus.

This isn’t so strange, but then her neighbor started doing the same thing, alternating every five seconds so no matter when you looked, someone’s head poked out. It reminded me of those Christmas window displays.

There has been some strange construction going on about campus. A parking lot on Lincoln Terrace, a recently dug up and replaced sidewalk by Reavis Hall, some sort of construction over by the health center and the ever popular student center construction.

Taking a closer look there seems to be some similarity. The student center is being topped with a pyramid. If you draw a line from the lot on Lincoln Terrace, to Reavis and then to the health center it forms a one dimensional pyramid.

What is the administration trying to do? Some people think pyramids are the work of aliens. Is the administration trying to communicate to far off lands of Jawas and Vulcans? Are members of the administration aliens? The possibilities are endless.