Senate considers IDs for charging

By Michelle Landrum

The Student Association senate will discuss plans at Sunday’s senate meeting to allow students to charge books to an account at NIU’s Holmes Student Center Bookstore.

The SA will meet at 6 p.m. in the HSC.

SA President Huda Scheidelman said a plan to allow students to use their identification cards to charge books has been considered for several years. Because the charge would be compiled through the university, similar to tuition billing, students could only charge on their IDs at the HSC Bookstore, she said.

“It would give us a great advantage over VCB (Village Commons Bookstore),” Scheidelman said. “Our bookstore has really suffered over the past couple of years due to VCB’s taking over.”

The NIU bookstore channels profits back into the university, channeling money back to the students, Scheidelman said. Scheidelman will meet with James Harder, NIU vice president of Business and Operations to discuss the charge plan further.

In other business, the senate will be asked to approve $700 in supplemental funding for a SA Community Affairs apartment survey. The funding was approved by the SA Finance Committee Tuesday, but must meet senate approval.

Minority Relations Adviser Joan Clay will address the senate on Ethnic Awareness Week. The week will feature a discussion on stereotypes to be held on Nov. 27, a film sponsored by BROTHERS on Nov. 28, a forum on interracial relations on Nov. 29 and an ethnic dinner on Nov. 30.

Community Affairs Adviser Brian Subatich will report committee progress on allowing tenants to collect interest on pre-paid rent and opposing the Denver Boot policy. The committee is “still working up details before the (Nov. 27) city council meeting,” Subatich said.