Ethnic awareness week

By Dana Netzel

The Student Association, BROTHERS Organization, Black Student Union and Organization of Latin American Students are working together to create an ethnic awareness week.

The event is a continuation of Unity in Diversity week and contains activities that will stimulate the campus and keep awareness on people’s minds throughout the year, said Joan Clay, Student Association Minority Relations adviser.

To start the week, a video tape entitled “Ethnic Notions” will be shown at 7:30 p.m. today in the Holmes Student Center’s Illinois Room. The video is sponsored by the SA’s Minority Relations Committee and will be kept in the committee’s office for future events.

The BROTHERS Organization will show the film “Fight the Power” at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in Cole Hall 101. Following the film, the BSU will have a mass meeting at 9 p.m.

At 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, a Forum on Interracial Relations will take place in Diversions. Members of the BSU, BROTHERS and OLAS organizations will be part of the panel that will include discussion on different stereotypes.

An ethnic dinner from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday at the Wesley Foundation will conclude the week’s events.

“It (the event) is programmed by students and not the administration,” said BSU President Chris O’Banner. The student involvement and planning will create an event that students really want, he said.