IBHE in favor of legislation for minorities

By Nissin Behar

The Illinois Board of Higher Education reacted favorably to Gov. James Thompson’s legislation that would increase funds to improve minority recruitment and retention at public universities.

The IBHE met Tuesday at Elgin Community College. The board evaluated Thompson’s action on higher education bills during the 1989 session of the 86th General Assembly.

Clara Fitzpatrick, a member of the Board of Regents, had questioned the success of some programs concerning minority retention and asked, “Have they gone anywhere?” The Regents govern NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield. IBHE Executive Director Richard Wagner suggested that Fitzpatrick review the report on community college instructional program enrollment by racial/ethnic category.

Besides increased funding, this legislation directs the IBHE to establish guidelines regarding minority recruitment and retention programs and checking minority student programs at public universities.

The bill provides for annual reports on minority program budgets, minority enrollment, retention and graduation statistics. A university also must report the amount of financial assistance awarded to minority students and minority faculty representation.

This spring, the Assembly approved a course on improving race and ethnic relations as part of general education requirements at public universities.

However, Thompson gave the bill an amendatory veto, which means he was not in total support of the bill. Thompson recommended such coursework be provided in curricular or co-curricular programs required of all bachelor’s degrees.

Another bill directs public universities to report yearly to Illinois high schools the following information regarding their graduates: number of students enrolled, their majors, the number of students who have withdrawn and performance in university coursework.

In other business, the IBHE approved revisions of a policy which reviews off-campus programs of public universities. The policy examines the quality of the programs and their response to the needs of Illinois students and communities.