City seeks control of complex

By Michelle Landrum and Mark McGowan

The city of DeKalb will seek temporary management for a DeKalb apartment complex as a result of horrid living conditions, while the building’s owners remained unaware of the city’s intentions.

About 40 tenants met Wednesday night with representatives of DeKalb city Building and Community Services, NIU Students’ Legal Assistance and 6th Ward Alderman Jamie Pennington to discuss the hazards and living conditions of the DeKalb Center, 1100 W. Lincoln Hwy.

Bill Nicklas, director of Building and Community Services, said the complex is a licensed rooming house and has to be maintained at minimum living safety standards.

If the city’s actions are uncontested, DeKalb will assign a property manager to collect rent to be used for building repairs. DeKalb will allow a 10-day legal period for the owners’ response once the petition is filed.

The DeKalb Center is “a family trust,” Nicklas said. The city has sent letters detailing building code violations to the owners Tony and Joseph Navilio, dealing primarily with Joseph, of Lisle, Ill. When phoned Wednesday night, J. Navilio was unaware of the city’s actions and refused comment.

Apartment Manager Beth Elkins, who began work Monday, said general repairs and the elimination of fire hazards were her top priority. She declined comment on the Navilio’s or past management that quit over the weekend.

City officials first became involved July 22 after a water leak short-circuited the building’s fire alarm system. Tenant Matt Richardson said the alarm was continually signaling for a week, forcing a DeKalb Fire Department official to disconnect the alarm, he said.

More than 40 structure code violations were discovered during an Aug. 8 inspection by DeKalb code enforcement officers. Included in the list of violations were leaky roofs, exposed wiring, broken fire extinguishers, unsanitary conditions, inoperable elevators and inadequate lighting.

Tenants complained about cockroach infestation related to the building’s garbage chute. Pennington said the chute was clogged up to the third floor of the six-story building until Tuesday.

Resident Frances Carrillo complained, “The city told us it’s safe to live here. It’s not even safe for a cockroach.”

Pennington said about 80 percent of the Center’s tenants are students and are eligible to seek free advice from the Students’ Legal Assistance office. Non-NIU student tenants can obtain advice from the Prairie State Legal Services Inc., Batavia, Ill.

The building must be promptly repaired or evacuated as a last resort, Pennington said. If closed, DeKalb will provide relocation assistance at the Salvation Army or local schools and housing shelters.