Scholarship given to NIU sophomore

By Shawnna Lynch

NIU sophomore Lannette Van Hamme recently won a $5,000 scholarship from the Coors Veterans’ Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Coors Brewing Company, in affiliation with B.B. Distributors, awards the scholarship monies to students who are 22-years old or younger, achieve a grade point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale, are enrolled full-time in a four-year college or an accredited two-year program leading to a four-year degree, have completed at least one semester of college but are not in their senior year, and are dependents of honorably discharged American veterans or an active duty guard or reserve personnel.

Van Hamme said her father, a World War II veteran who was stationed in Europe, saw an ad for the scholarship in a VFW magazine and suggested she apply.

Last summer via mail Van Hamme was notified she would receive a total of $5,000 over a period of three years to use toward tuition, room and board and books.

In 1989, Coors has awarded 124 scholarships worth $500,000 and more than $2.5 million has been given to scholarship winners during the past five years, said Jay Haka, president of B.B. Distributors, Coors’ wholesale distributor in Sycamore.

Haka said the winners are chosen on the basis of secondary and college academic achievement, participation in extracurricular activities, standardized tests of academic achievement, veteran parent status, ability to write concisely and the completion of all information requested in the application form.

The winners are selected by a private company which allotts funds by class year as follows: sophomores-$5,000; juniors-$3,500; and seniors-$2,000.

Coors is again planning to award a minimum of 100 scholarships, in 1990 to eligible students throughout the United States.

Interested students can obtain applications after Nov. 1, 1989 by calling 1-800-49COORS, or by writing to: Coors Veterans’ Memorial Scholarship Fund P.O. Box 8438, Beaverton, Ore. 97076.

Applications will be accepted through March 15, 1990.