Wirtz House fate remains unresolved

By Amy Goldhagen

Final renovation plans for the Martin Luther King Memorial Commons do not include the Wirtz House, but the structure’s fate remains unclear.

The renovation plans were passed by the King Commons Renovation Committee at their May 24 meeting and are now waiting for NIU President John La Tourette’s approval.

Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Planning, said the final plans do not include the Wirtz House.

Williams said that relocation, demolition, or selling the house are all viable options. He said that although no specific relocation sites have been discussed,it might still remain on NIU property.

The question as to where the Foreign Studies office and the University Resources for Women will be relocated has also not been decided. Williams said that the organiztions have been asked to assess the needs of their programs so that the university will be able to provide for them accordingly when they leave the Wirtz House.

“It is unfortunate that we cannot leave the House as it is, but our present plan for renovating the campus is a wonderful opportunity to beautify our campus on a long-term basis. We will, however, make sure that the programs involved suffer no negative effects from the plans,” Williams said.

Williams also stressed last semester’s movement of the Women’s Studies Program from Wirtz House to Reavis Hall had nothing to do with the plan to eliminate the House from the Commons area. He said the Women’s Studies Program was moved simply because it needed more space.

The Commons renovation is funded through the Capitol Development Board and the layout of the area was decided jointly through the CDB and the University’s King Commons Committee. Perkins and Will, Inc. were selected to carry out the renovation.

The Commons renovation is part of a Campus Master Plan proposed by Sasaki and Associates Inc. This group assessed NIU’s campus and proposed the Commons area be “opened up,” providing more room for pedestrian movement as well as an open free speech area.

Perkins and Will cited the Martin Luther King Commons as “the focal point of NIU” and expressed concern over providing adequate space for a stage and free speech area. They said the grounds of the Wirtz House would be necessary for a free speech area, adding that the House will not fit in with the design.

Williams said the Wirtz family approves of whatever NIU decides to do with the House, but has requested a few items be saved.